Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Lacerte data be merged?

cfisher
Level 1

We have two companies with Lacerte data and we wish to merge the data sets into one company.  Is this something that can be done?  If so, how?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Two companies that both use Lacerte - Simply use backup from the company that is going away and restore onto the company that is absorbing. My experience (which predates fast path) is that there will two different numbers in Firm Number data in screen 1. The old firm data will print one page 2 of the 1040 for those old returns. You should contact customer support to affirm this information and they can likely give you more info on how to merge. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
mojocpa
Level 7
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
There is no way to merge two client files together, BUT if you are asking can you bring in files that a different preparer worked on into YOUR business, yes there are ways for you to bring them in under your tax prep business.  Hope that clarifies.
0 Cheers
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee
Like Ashley said, you can't merge two files together.  We do have some export/import items to help in merging some of the data, like depreciation assets.  
If you're looking to simply share a client file between firms, you can share a client file from program to program regardless of your firm information.
0 Cheers
cfisher
Level 1
Thank you for your input - but what we're actually looking to do is to merge two Accounting Practices and their Lacerte data into one Lacerte data source for a combined practice.  Apologies if my wording was unclear, or if I'm mis-interpreting what you're saying, but it sounds like you are referring to merging a single client in Lacerte with another client, which isn't actually what I'm looking to do.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Two companies that both use Lacerte - Simply use backup from the company that is going away and restore onto the company that is absorbing. My experience (which predates fast path) is that there will two different numbers in Firm Number data in screen 1. The old firm data will print one page 2 of the 1040 for those old returns. You should contact customer support to affirm this information and they can likely give you more info on how to merge. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
cfisher
Level 1
This sounds like what we are looking for - I will contact support to double-check though.  Thank you.
0 Cheers