Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trust now irrevocable - can I change title?

joantax
Level 3

Filing for FEIN for Trust after death of grantor do I remove the word REVOCABLE from title?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

I still see a lot of what I call Logorrhea Trusts with provisions somewhere past Page 42 that require the trust to be split into an "A" or "B", or "Survivor" and "Decedent," or "Marital" and "Bypass" Trust.  A lot of people don't discover this until about 10 years after the death of the first grantor.  So make sure you have read the actual document and understand it, before you decide what kind of animal you are dealing with.  You don't want it to turn out to be one of those hairy caterpillars that you shouldn't touch. 

I don't think IRS cares if you call it the "Barnaby Smith Trust u/a/d 10/31/07" rather than the "Barnaby Smith Revocable Trust u/a/d 10/31/07," as long as it doesn't already have an EIN.  

View solution in original post

1 Comment 1
BobKamman
Level 15

I still see a lot of what I call Logorrhea Trusts with provisions somewhere past Page 42 that require the trust to be split into an "A" or "B", or "Survivor" and "Decedent," or "Marital" and "Bypass" Trust.  A lot of people don't discover this until about 10 years after the death of the first grantor.  So make sure you have read the actual document and understand it, before you decide what kind of animal you are dealing with.  You don't want it to turn out to be one of those hairy caterpillars that you shouldn't touch. 

I don't think IRS cares if you call it the "Barnaby Smith Trust u/a/d 10/31/07" rather than the "Barnaby Smith Revocable Trust u/a/d 10/31/07," as long as it doesn't already have an EIN.