Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with EFiling Estimated Payments

msindc1
Level 4

Folks:

I have already e-filed client's return.

Client wants to pay quarterly estimated taxes even though not required this year.

I checked the efile button and entered quarterly payments in the override.

When I went to efile the estimated payments, I am getting a lengthy error message.  (I can type it here if it is needed.)

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

Micah

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

You can only set up electronic estimated tax payments at the time the tax return is efiled. Can't do it afterward.

Ex-AllStar
msindc1
Level 4

Drat!  That's the wrong answer!

Is there any way around that?  Can I file an amended return and set up the electronic estimated payments that way?

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Please do not take this the wrong way, but why in the world would you want to file an amended return so you could set up electronic estimated tax payments? Correct me if I'm wrong , but does not a tax preparer need a valid reason to file an amended return? What would you state to the IRS on the amended 1040 form  was your reason for filing a corrected return ? You stated yourself the client does not have to pay estimates , if they are so adamant about paying estimates why don't you just print them out and give them to the client and have them mail in the 1040 ES forms... come on man ... just my opinion

msindc1
Level 4

Whoa!  Simmer down, man!

Client is a very high-level government official who is rarely home.  He approved his tax returns and then asked about electronic payment of quarterlies, which he quite reasonably finds to be very smart and which avoids his having to pay a large tax payment with his annual return.  We are in the customer-service business.  I would like to be able to accommodate his wishes.  Why on earth would you get so riled up about something like this?

Sheesh!

George4Tacks
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns