Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treatment of partnership passive losses at death

A taxpayer has passive losses in a partnership and dies, the tax code says (469(g)) that the losses are recognized only in excess of the step up in basis. Losses to the extent of the step-up in basis are lost forever.

How do I input this in Lacerte?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Adjust any combination of current losses and prior unallowed losses to get the right answer. You could alternatively make an entry into the Separately Stated Items section for the adjustment amount, if you wanted some additional documentation of what you'd done.

This is one of those situations where any input that gets the right output will work, and there's no specific input or even best practices guideline.

Don't forget to adjust the AMT amounts, too.

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Mark the activity as disposed, which will free up all the losses. Manually adjust the losses to the allowable amount.

Thanks,

How do I adjust the losses? Do I manually reduce the amount of prior year unallowed losses and then also reduce the current year passive losses or is there an additional input for this?

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Adjust any combination of current losses and prior unallowed losses to get the right answer. You could alternatively make an entry into the Separately Stated Items section for the adjustment amount, if you wanted some additional documentation of what you'd done.

This is one of those situations where any input that gets the right output will work, and there's no specific input or even best practices guideline.

Don't forget to adjust the AMT amounts, too.