Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring lacerte files

lclenfield
Level 1
how to transfer a client file from one lacerte tax accountant user to another lacerte tax accountant user user
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would get a written authorization from the client before doing this. The simplest methoc is to e-mail. Highlight the client - Client > Send via email > You will be prompted to password protect the file (I would do this), then either ignore or cancel to go back and add a password. You will then send an e-mail with an attachment that can be opened with the Lacerte program. For Individual 2017 it will have an extension of .TC7.

The alternate is to backup the client of a flash drive (or maybe CD) and physically transfer the media to the other preparer. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would get a written authorization from the client before doing this. The simplest methoc is to e-mail. Highlight the client - Client > Send via email > You will be prompted to password protect the file (I would do this), then either ignore or cancel to go back and add a password. You will then send an e-mail with an attachment that can be opened with the Lacerte program. For Individual 2017 it will have an extension of .TC7.

The alternate is to backup the client of a flash drive (or maybe CD) and physically transfer the media to the other preparer. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
NancyR
Level 1

I tried this, but I am getting an error message saying the ID18 number is missing.  Can you tell how to handle this?   Thanks!

0 Cheers
HereToLearn
Level 2

What information would get transferred with this type of backup? I have client request for Lacerte files so that the client can give it to the new CPA firm.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The entire client Lacerte file as it appears in your system. Other accountant will be able to open it in Lacerte and proceed as if they had created the file.

Ex-AllStar
HereToLearn
Level 2

Thank you for the fast reply SRJCPA. Definitely faster than calling tech support.

Are you aware of any differences between an backup of a Lacerte file vs the method that George4Tacks discussed?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No. Both methods will generate a copy of the file that another Lacerte user can use.

Ex-AllStar