Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There appears to be an error in the QBI calculation as it relates to vehicles w/input for actual expenses, listed as UBIA, but not being included in the calc. please call

jon-a
Level 1

(NOTE:  This issue has been submitted to Technical Support)

Client has a Schedule C with over $100K of net income and QBI.  NO wages in the Schedule C.

Overall, the client has about $700K of taxable income, but no other QBI related income.  Thus due to no wages, the client should get 2.5% of UBIA.

Client has only ONE asset.  A vehicle, used greater than 50%, and utilizing the actual expense method, so taxpayer is getting some depreciation.  The UBIA of this one asset is being calculated properly AND has a worksheet indicating that the asset does qualify as an asset for UBIA.

The problem is that the QBI calculation does NOT include this in calculating the deduction.  After analyzing, we determined that if there were NO "actual expenses" input (in the depreciation input area - ie for gas, repairs, etc) then the program does pick up the qualified asset for the calculation.  But put in $1 dollar for any expense, the program does NOT included UBIA for the calculation, even thought it still indicates that the asset IS a qualified asset for UBIA!

We believe there is a programming error, but please let us know either way.  We are also happy to provide the client copy to Lacerte for their review.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

This is NOT Intuit/Lacerte support.  You will need to contact them directly to report the possible defect.

This is a peer-to-peer forum of fellow users of the software.

I believe Ctrl L starts a report directly to Lacerte concerning a perceived programming error.

I haven't seen this one reported yet, and haven't run across the scenario you describe on a client (yet).

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
abctax55
Level 15

This is NOT Intuit/Lacerte support.  You will need to contact them directly to report the possible defect.

This is a peer-to-peer forum of fellow users of the software.

I believe Ctrl L starts a report directly to Lacerte concerning a perceived programming error.

I haven't seen this one reported yet, and haven't run across the scenario you describe on a client (yet).

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
@abctax55  Couldn't stay away? :smile: Welcome back.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
TYVM....I figured two weeks off was enough.
Especially since no one noticed, especially the mods.
I don't want to jeopardize my standing and that FREE software they give me :smiling_imp:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The problem is, once you get addicted to this place, walking away is like trying to kick a meth habit.  Easier said than done :smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Good to have you back, @abctax55!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
TYVM....I passed Tilt a while ago for #3 on the all-time hit parade.  I'm chasing the esteemed "Archie aka Chuck aka CAGMC" so I figured I better saddle back up.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Only 1,032 to go for the tie :smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
:cry:   Makes me sad in many ways.  RIP:cry:
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
To be honest, I seriously thought about retiring from this place when we lost Chuck.  It just didn't seem the same and it still doesn't seem the same without him here.  I still do get a smile though when someone resurrects an old post that he participated in.  And until I the day I die, seeing CAGMC will always bring a smile to my face :smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Yep - he was unique.  I'm sorry I never got to meet him face-to-face.  I know @tilt53 still misses him terribly, and I get the Caring Bridge updates about Elizabeth.  She's still struggling, but what a strong-willed person.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Jon...sorry to have hijacked your serious post. I see you edited, and have reported the problem to the PTB.  Thanks!

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
jon-a
Level 1
No problem... I appreciate the guidance on reporting directly to Lacerte:  Control "L" was correct! 🙂
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Thank @George4Tacks for that, I think that's who has pointed it out.
Keep us posted on the outcome, 'kay?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
jon-a
Level 1
Will do... 🙂
0 Cheers