Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data entry question

john-masegian
Level 2
where do I enter an amount for form 1040 line 73 [d] with the label of "TAX"
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

The only thing I know to appear on Line 73 with description "Tax" is the Section 965 transition tax. Is that what you have?

Input is in Screen 45.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
George4Tacks
Level 15
Good question. What type of payment was this? Are you sure it could not just be another estimate payment?

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
john-masegian
Level 2
Definitely not an Estimate.  Additional payments made in response to a Notice.  The problem is the return needs to be amended, and the taxpayer wants the over-payment applied to current-year estimates.  If the payment isn't reported on the 1040, Lacerte generates an error due to the 1040 reporting an amount owed and an amount applied to estimates.  Support says there's no way to generate a 1040 line 73 D amount with "Tax" as a description - They suggested plugging an IRC 1341 amount and then manually editing the printed form.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
"Support says there's no way to generate a 1040 line 73 D amount with "Tax" as a description"  Support is clueless.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

The only thing I know to appear on Line 73 with description "Tax" is the Section 965 transition tax. Is that what you have?

Input is in Screen 45.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

You say you are amending. How about screen 59, down at the bottom Amt paid w/original & tax paid after filing (63 less) 

Screen 59; Code 36

Enter the tax paid with the original return, plus any tax paid after the original return was filed. This amount prints on Form 1040X, page 1, line 15.

itonewbie
Level 15
Agree with George that would be correct line to use and I think George meant Line 16 (instead of 15).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15
You betchum! Line 16 (give or take)

itonewbie
Level 15

As George says, you'd use Line 73 Box d under very limited circumstances.  If you must, try Screen 38.2.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
john-masegian
Level 2
Thanks for the response.  The problem is there doesn't appear to be anywhere to enter a 73 Box D amount unless you want the entry labeled as a IRC 1341 - which is not consistent with the instructions to the form.
0 Cheers