Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QBI Deduuction for Complex Trust

lfield
Level 1
Trust return received a K-1 from a trade or business partnership (not a SSTB). I have filled in the QBI numbers on line 20 in screen 25 but no amount shows up in the return? Is the information supposed to be somewhere else for calculation purposes? Is the QBI calculation functioning for Trusts?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

I just did a dummy return and I see the QBI showing up on line 15a, with a worksheet. 

Possibly your return has too much income, or too much being distributed. I have no real experience other than having just played with a dummy return. I did find this enlightening article https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2018/dec/claiming-qbi-deduction-trusts.html

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15
Is it on the beneficiary K-1s?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
lfield
Level 1
No. The income and the related QBI information is coming from a partnership interest owned by the Trust. The trust makes no income distributions and, therefore, pays its own taxes. The beneficiary k-1 has no reportable transactions.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Sorry. I have not dealt with this yet on a trust return.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
CPAAlly
Level 1
did you ever get this resolved? i have the same issue with Proseries
0 Cheers
lfield
Level 1
We did not finalize the return until sometime in late September. I honestly do not remember if the input screens changed in the many months from the posting of my question until the actual return was finalized.but I think they did. Anyway we ultimately input the information in screen 25, line 20 - Section 199A information. Lacerte then printed out a deduction equal to the proper amount on line 15 of the Form 1041. The deduction was included with several other items on line 15 of the 1041 so you have to go to the referenced return statement to see that it is included in the return. I hope some of this helps (a little bit). It was a very frustrating year. Good luck!
0 Cheers
CPAAlly
Level 1
I use Proseries so the screen and line info does not correlate. I do appreciate your input though. I'm calling tech support tomorrow
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I just did a dummy return and I see the QBI showing up on line 15a, with a worksheet. 

Possibly your return has too much income, or too much being distributed. I have no real experience other than having just played with a dummy return. I did find this enlightening article https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2018/dec/claiming-qbi-deduction-trusts.html

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
lfield
Level 1
Thanks so much. I appreciate the clarification.
0 Cheers