Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax transcript request Canadian address format not accepted

daniel-j-morton
Level 1

I am trying to request a tax transcript here https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. However I cannot be verified because the address in Canada is not being accepted. It is being inputed exactly as per the 2017 and 2018 tax returns in the US. Does anyone know how to input the city/province/postal code in a format that is accepted? The IRS states on its website it has errors with foreign addresses. I also requested a transcript by mail but have not received it after 3 weeks. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

The only way is to contact the IRS to verify the way they entered the address on the system.

The IRS is notorious for transposing foreign addresses; often times, what they have on the system is not exactly what is shown on the return.

Because address is one of the pieces of information the IRS uses to identify a taxpayer, occasionally, you may get the response that they cannot provide that to you and it is your responsibility to verify to them the correct address on record; in that case, you may need to be more assertive that the IRS must have transposed the foreign address and you can read to them exactly how it is presented on the return, which should, in essence, be the same as what they have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15

The only way is to contact the IRS to verify the way they entered the address on the system.

The IRS is notorious for transposing foreign addresses; often times, what they have on the system is not exactly what is shown on the return.

Because address is one of the pieces of information the IRS uses to identify a taxpayer, occasionally, you may get the response that they cannot provide that to you and it is your responsibility to verify to them the correct address on record; in that case, you may need to be more assertive that the IRS must have transposed the foreign address and you can read to them exactly how it is presented on the return, which should, in essence, be the same as what they have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
daniel-j-morton
Level 1
Thanks, I have tried contacting the IRS and they confirmed my address format after a lengthy verification process. It still doesn't work on their site. I am trying to find if there is any pattern or how to guess entering in the address. I recall you get 3 attempts then locked out for a period.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I'm of the opinion that something in the address is still not right.  Been there myself.  I empathize with you.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
daniel-j-morton
Level 1
Thanks, any ideas how they transpose them?
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Unfortunately not.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers