Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taxpayer and spouse were full-year residents in different states

hgtc
Level 5

Taxpayer is CA resident and spouse is NC resident in 2019.  They are filing joint returns.  How do I indicate "resident state as of 12/31"?  Will it be CA or NC?

Also, is it possible that can file joint state returns with both CA and NC?

thank you.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15
Do they own a home? If so, in which state? Where do they plan on spending their retirement years? Do they each have a driver's license from their respective state?
I would propose that they are both residents of one of the two states and will get a credit for the taxes paid in the other.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15
Do they own a home? If so, in which state? Where do they plan on spending their retirement years? Do they each have a driver's license from their respective state?
I would propose that they are both residents of one of the two states and will get a credit for the taxes paid in the other.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

You have to read the instructions for each state to see if MFJ is allowed, or even required.

Remember, too, that CA is a community property state.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

@George4Tacks "I would propose that they are both residents of one of the two states"

I probably would have done that 50 years ago, too.  Different century, different millenium.

@sjrcpa 

Bonus points for pointing out community-property issue, then not wanting to touch it further.  This is definitely a "send them down the street" return.  

NC resident will probably have to pay tax on half the California income.  NC probably allows a credit for some or all of it.  CA resident pays tax on the other half, and nothing to NC.  Did they do a prenuptial, waiving community rights on income?  No, of course not, they were in love and just wanted to get married.  Or maybe they lived together in Tennessee for 20 years, until now.  

As I said, send them down the street.  Otherwise, get a $1,200 deposit before you start work.  They have it, they just got a check from IRS.  

hgtc
Level 5

good points.  Thanks.

0 Cheers