Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxable Social Security

jrdulzo376
Level 1

Has anyone else noticed the calculation for Taxable Social Security isn't deducting the Excluded Unemployment of $10,200?  Do we know when this will be updated in Lacerte?  I have a couple clients who I just need this corrected to complete their return. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pamdory
Level 8

Lacerte's calculation is correct.  The IRS guidance, as updated 03/23/2021, states that taxable Social Security should be calculated using Unemployment income without the $10,200 reduction.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
pamdory
Level 8

Lacerte's calculation is correct.  The IRS guidance, as updated 03/23/2021, states that taxable Social Security should be calculated using Unemployment income without the $10,200 reduction.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-exclusion-of-up-to-10200-of-unemployment-compensation

jrdulzo376
Level 1

Thank you for the Update.  I didn't catch that update yesterday....That explains why. 

0 Cheers
brazenbrazier
Level 2

A client just brought in a notice that the IRS REDUCED the taxable social security on their return based on the unemployment compensation they received. 

When I process the return now in Lacerte the lower tax is showing and Schedule 1 is not longer generated.

When did this change in the program come about?

abctax55
Level 15
Late March...two months ago.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
R00STER
Level 1

One of my clients received the same notice, where it reduced the taxable social security.  The IRS disagrees with the Lacerte's Social Security Benefits worksheet. The IRS reduced the income from line 3 of the calculation by 10,200 from what Lacerte calculated.  Having said that, based on the IRS website lacerte's calculation is correct and the IRS is wrong. 

0 Cheers