Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use a Password Manager (I use LastPass) where it will autofill the password at login to Lacerte so you don't have to type the password in?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

As per this article: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/role-management-via-my-account/00/4212 "Beginning in Tax Year 2016, industry wide standards established through the IRS Security Summit require professional tax software vendors, including Intuit, to validate each individual user's identity. In compliance with these changes, Intuit ProConnect Lacerte requires all users to login and be authenticated as a valid user of your firm before the Lacerte software will open."

The purpose of the password is to protect you and your clients and so I would not recommend a program or tool to remember that for you as you are making yourself vulnerable and bypassing the security put in place to protect you and your clients.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
itonewbie
Level 15

I am a paranoid when it comes to auto-filling passwords, especially when it comes to websites where our clients' data reside.  I don't even install the toolbar for the manager in my browsers.  I do, however, use a password manager (Norton Identify Safe) from which I retrieve my passwords when logging into various websites and would clear the cache for clipboard immediately.

For Intuit though, I have my password pretty much memorized and use different iterations of that when it comes time for update, so that I don't have to remember another big password.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I use mouse jiggler, on occasion. https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=mousejiggler

P.S. The Zen jiggle? option just calms the mouse down so you don't SEE it jiggle any more. Less annoying. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

As per this article: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/role-management-via-my-account/00/4212 "Beginning in Tax Year 2016, industry wide standards established through the IRS Security Summit require professional tax software vendors, including Intuit, to validate each individual user's identity. In compliance with these changes, Intuit ProConnect Lacerte requires all users to login and be authenticated as a valid user of your firm before the Lacerte software will open."

The purpose of the password is to protect you and your clients and so I would not recommend a program or tool to remember that for you as you are making yourself vulnerable and bypassing the security put in place to protect you and your clients.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Tagging Dave for his input...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
@mojocpa - wanna' give your experience with this issue?
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Sorry, late to the party. We got hit with ransomware earlier this year. Luckily our computer company had backups. I can see where the autofill for us would not have been good as they could have harvested personal info on 700+ clients.
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

We use Password Safe. It has copy of username, copy of password, copy of username including Browse (launches your default browser, uses the URL you put in that listing, and fills in the username) and copy of password, and has an Auto-Type function, for filling in routine data. It might fit your need.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers