Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Wait times

Highlighted
Level 2

Is everyone experiencing painfully long wait times when calling in for calculation support 1 week before the deadline or have I just called at a bad time?  SE tax isn't calculating.  Any suggestions for a fix?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
10 Replies 10
Highlighted
Level 15

Where is the SE coming from? Sch C, F, K-1, ....

How much is the SE?

Yes, I have heard wait times are totally unacceptable.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

It is entered in as other income subject to SE.  The tax will only be ~$50.  I suggested to the client we just let the IRS come back with a notice for no more than it is but they want it to be right. 

I tried calling in yesterday and was told wait times were 1.5 hours.  I am going on 45 minutes now.

Highlighted
Level 15

It sounds like the gross is not sufficient. No SE if under $400. See line 4 of Schedule SE

If less than $400, you don't owe self-employment tax; don't file
this schedule unless you have an amount on line 1b

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 12

@lawither wrote:

It is entered in as other income subject to SE. 

As a side note, I don't think there is such thing.  SE tax applies to a "Trade or Business".  If it is a "Trade or Business", it belongs on Schedule C (or F).

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Lacerte and PTO have this special entry that puts it as other income and on Schedule SE. IRS seems to be okay with it.

ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 12

Yeah, I've heard that before, but it seems wrong.  As I said before, SE tax only applies to a "Trade or Business".  So why would you report your "Trade or Business" income as "Other Income" rather than Schedule C?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Do this before trying to contact support. Post the question here before trying to contact support.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 2

Oh my gosh...I was so focused on where I had it entered I wasn't thinking it all the way through.  You are absolutely right.  Thank you!

Highlighted
Level 11

@lawither 

To err is human; to admit your mistake, divine.  (Which is why a lot of people in Washington will never meet St Peter.)

Highlighted
Level 1

When opening Lacerte today there was a critical message stating...... that due to the 7/15 tax filing deadline, they are experiencing longer than usual hold times for support.  That's pretty funny, since I have not been able to get through to telephone support for the last 2 years + without experiencing hold times that are unacceptable!  Lacerte support is an oxymoron.