Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superseding returns?

pgbcpa
Level 2
I keep saying I gladly pay for Lacerte because it is state-of-the-art software. Well 2020 is going to be The Year of Superseding Tax Returns. Is Lacerte going to step up? We need this feature and it doesn't seem like a lot to ask. Jut give as a toggle and add the mark to the e-file. Can't be rocket science and saves us so much time.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

The only marks that can go in the e-file are the ones the IRS can process. I'm pretty sure the IRS doesn't recognize any sort of superseding return indicator in the e-file specs. Do you have a link that says otherwise?

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The IRS e-file system can file superseding business returns, but can NOT file superseding 1040s.

So you either need to e-file an amended 1040 or file the superseding 1040 by mail.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Page 24 of Publication 4164:

The superseding return designation is available for Forms 1041, 1120, 1120-F, 1120-S and 1065. The superseding return designation is not available for Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, 1040, 1120-POL and 2290. The amended return box must be checked for any subsequent Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF or 1120-POL returns to be accepted.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4164.pdf

0 Cheers
pgbcpa
Level 2
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/amended-and-superseding-corporate-returns The only solution is to paper file a superseding return or amend the return if you are using Lacerte. The IRS does allow for electronic filing of a superseding return but there has to be a mark in the e-file. This is according to the IRS (see link).
0 Cheers
pgbcpa
Level 2
Ok, so at least allow us to electronically file superseding returns for those currently allowed by IRS. In particular, there are going to be a number of 1120S returns with PPP loans may require changes and it would be helpful to be able to do that electronically.
0 Cheers