Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMLLC Receives K1s

BethB19
Level 1

I have a newly formed LLC owned by a husband + wife in a community property state.  I am choosing to treat as a SMLLC.  The SMLLC has received two K1's and I not sure how to report on the 1040.  I have read so many opinions that I am now unsure.  These are businesses (not rentals or investments).  Do I report on a Sch C, Sch E or just as a K1 on the Sch E page 2.  Also, there is section 179 to consider for the purchase of an asset in the SMLLC.  Thanks for the help. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

The SMLLC is disregarded for tax purposes. So act like it doesn't exist. Enter the K-1s the same way you would enter K-1s issued in an individual's name.

What kind of asset did the SMLLC purchase? Is there a Sch C business or Sch E rental in addition to the K-1s?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
BethB19
Level 1

The asset was an automobile. There is no Sch C or Sch E.

BTW- thanks for responding. Totally cool of you! 

Just to be clear- just enter the K1 so it will report on SchE page 2 but in the individual's name.  Too simple. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Of course its a car.

What is the business use percent? I'm guessing zero since there is no business. No Section 179 and no depreciation.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

@BethB19 wrote:

Just to be clear- just enter the K1 so it will report on SchE page 2 but in the individual's name.  Too simple. 

Maybe too simple but correct.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

I don't understand this part: "These are businesses (not rentals or investments). Do I report on a Sch C, Sch E or just as a K1 on the Sch E page 2. Also, there is section 179 to consider for the purchase of an asset in the SMLLC."

They formed this LLC; they intend to "treat our personal car as business" which implies they are "doing" some sort of business. Otherwise, that would simply be Scamming the tax system, right?

"The asset was an automobile. There is no Sch C or Sch E"

So, are they or are they not "An LLC" or are they two "SMLLC" because so far, everything conflicts with each other here.

The people can have invested into other businesses, which spins off K-1. That would have nothing to do with their own need or operation of their own business as LLC or Sched C.

Who is giving these people their guidance?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
BethB19
Level 1

Thanks 🙂

0 Cheers