Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short year corp tax return with prior year forms

lam
Level 1

I recently e-filed a 12-month 12/31/2019 S Corp return.  I am now getting ready to e-file a Jan-March 2020 short year S corp return due to S-Termination.  I have updated/adjusted the depreciation and roll-forward numbers. I have over-ridden to a short year-end on page 1 (although it still shows Beginning Year Jan 1 2019).  I know I am supposed to follow current year tax changes.  It just looks odd because all of the forms say 2019 on them.  I also am filing State Corporate Tax Returns with same issue. Obviously the 2020 forms won't be available until Jan 2021, after this return is already late.  Has anyone done this before and had them go thru with no problem?  Just curious. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

You can only efile the same ID number once per tax year.

You'll have to file the short year on paper.

Print & change the year by hand (looks sloppy)

Print to PDF, change the year via Adobe.  Time consuming, but looks more professional.

PITA, either way.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
lam
Level 1

Thank you for the response; paper-file was my initial plan. But the return has cleared the “e-file validation process” – and it seems ‘ready to submit’.  I thought Lacerte would give an error message but it hasn’t.  I tried calling them but takes too long on hold.  May try again to call again but I think I will go your route. You sound like you know the deal. Thanks again!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Unless something has changed.... I *am* right 😉

I think, if you hit send, it'll bounce as "duplicate".   But maybe it'll go thru; what's the harm in trying?

I've heard rumors of other software *allowing* it, but I'm skeptical of those stories as it seems like it is an IRS protocol as two returns from the same *year* (software from the same year...) would be problematic.

Why don't you be our guinea pig, and let us know. 😂

I run into this situation every five years or so...

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers