Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 121 exclusion for home held in a trust

maughact
Level 4

My client's home is titled in her husband's trust.  She is moved to assistant living center and sold her home.  All the research I have done has been pointing to the trust reporting the sale of the home using her husband's DOD (stepped up basis).I can't find anything stating she can get the $250,000 exclusion?

Thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxMonkey
Level 8

"my husband's trust" - covers a lot of ground and doesn't provide any indication of what type of trust it is which would be required to reach a final conclusion.

"she...sold the home" - do you really mean the Trust sold the home?  Presumably she cannot sell something that she doesn't own.

1.121-1(c)(3) governs when trusts can take the 121 exclusion - it boils down to grantor trusts.  No knowing the actual facts regarding this trust, hard to comment further.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxMonkey
Level 8

"my husband's trust" - covers a lot of ground and doesn't provide any indication of what type of trust it is which would be required to reach a final conclusion.

"she...sold the home" - do you really mean the Trust sold the home?  Presumably she cannot sell something that she doesn't own.

1.121-1(c)(3) governs when trusts can take the 121 exclusion - it boils down to grantor trusts.  No knowing the actual facts regarding this trust, hard to comment further.

0 Cheers
maughact
Level 4
It's a grantor trust and irrevocable now that the grantor is deceased.
0 Cheers