Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of Truck - should 4797 Part III line 22 Depreciation ever be twice the original cost?

LSTAX
Level 4

Business truck sold for $10,000 in 2020 that was placed in service in 2009 under method 43 MACRS 5-year % Vehicles over 6,000 lbs, no limits.  In 2009 the entire $60,000 cost was deducted under section 179.  This $60,000 has been carrying forward each year under Regular Depreciation - prior Section 179 expense in black (the values that carry forward each year).  In 2017, there appeared a new value under AMT Depreciation of $60,000 under Prior depreciation (MACRS only).   Now 4797 p2 (AMT) Part III line 22 depreciation is $120,000.  Is there any reason section 179 would be double counted toward lowering the basis or is this most likely a typo on the 2017 depreciation screen?

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

I see what you see. I would simply delete that prior year AMT depreciation of $60,000. I do see it being doubled.

Before you do the deletion, make a copy of the return and use Ctrl + Q to send a copy of the return to Lacerte with your description of the problem. That way they can make a correction to the software. Maybe @IntuitGabi can alert the programmers to look for this error. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IntuitGabi

Definitely! Thanks. @George4Tacks 
@LSTAX Comment your token file onto this thread and I'll pass it along. Thanks for reporting.

0 Cheers
LSTAX
Level 4

I have had trouble accessing this board - keep getting "bad server request" messages.  I finally tried using a different browser and can reply.  I made a copy of the lacerte file and used CTRL Q which gave me the communication manager.  I think I sent the file, but there was nowhere that I could see to add my description.  Thanks for your help!

0 Cheers
LSTAX
Level 4

When you say "I see what you see" is it happening in your client files too?  I tried sending the file with Ctrl Q but I never heard if it went through.  Thank you

0 Cheers