Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routing number

Miki
Level 1

I have several US citizens living in Canada who have established US dollar accounts with a Canadian bank.    They send me the transit number plus bank number.   This does not work.  I need an IAT number.   Anyone else with this problem and how was it resolved.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

2 Comments 2
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't think IRS will direct deposit to a foreign account. Not sure about direct debit from one.

EDIT: Read the help for that IAT field. Direct deposit and direct debit will not happen with a foreign account.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

Press F1 at the check box for IAT and you will get:

1 = Foreign Financial Institution Transaction (IAT)

Direct Deposit of Refund/Electronic Payment Screens 3; Codes 653-655

For this year, new banking rules prohibit taxing agencies from honoring requests for electronic funds withdrawal or direct deposit when the funds for the payment (or refund) would come from (or go to) an account outside the United States. Therefore, if this box is checked, the taxpayer must pay any amount due by check, money order, or credit card (if allowed); or if requesting a refund, will be sent a check to the mailing address on their return. For e-File purposes and for states that print the financial institution information on their forms, if the IAT indicator is checked, none of the financial institution information will print or be present in the e-File. For the federal return, the IAT indicator will have no effect on the program.   These codes are simply supplied here to be used on the state’s return. For federal/state or multiple state returns using the same financial institution, simply enter the information once in these fields.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns