Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMD for 2020 suspension

fish
Level 3

taxpayer received the RMD for 2020, later returned RMD to IRA account (Schwab). The 1099R shows the distribution code as 7, normal distribution and the full amount taxable. How should this be coded within the Lacerte tax program?  Looking for the best way to handle this and assume 1099 matching will not match when I so -0- taxable income from the IRA and the 1099R shows the full amount. Thank you. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
took it out, rolled it back in....cant you mark it as a rollover?

I dont speak lacerte.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
fish
Level 3

Thanks, that is what I plan to do, but the big computers in the sky will not match 1099R shows taxable income and 2099 show 7 as distribution code not rollover code. It would be nice to have another box to check covid relief aid etc so that it doesn’t automatically get kicked back as I think will happen with my approach. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

From 2020-51:

"D. Permitted repayments of RMDs previously distributed from an IRA. In the case of an IRA owner or beneficiary who has already received a distribution of an amount that would have been an RMD in 2020 but for section 2203 of the CARES Act or section 114 of the SECURE Act, the recipient may repay the distribution to the distributing IRA, even if the repayment is made more than 60 days after the distribution, provided the repayment is made no later than August 31, 2020. The repayment will be treated as a rollover for purposes of § 408(d)(3) of the Code, but will not be treated as a rollover for purposes of the one rollover per 12-month period limitation in § 408(d)(3)(B) and the restriction on rollovers for nonspousal beneficiaries in § 408(d)(3)(C)."

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

"show 7 as distribution code not rollover code."

You might be thinking of Direct Transfer; rollovers don't need to be direct.

PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

You enter the Box 1 amount as an "indirect rollover to other than a Roth IRA".  In the Screen 13.1 entry for that specific IRA distribution, fourth section down is Rollovers, first item.

kelly8
Level 1

I have the same question. Did you find an answer? This is going to be a big issue.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

@kelly8 

"I have the same question. Did you find an answer? This is going to be a big issue."

You have the "same question" and are looking for the answer that is right here in this topic. Did you read the replies here, that explain it's just a rollover? And @PhoebeRoberts even noted how to enter it.