Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore window does not show joint names

JohnTheresa
Level 2

Restore does not show joint names just first taxpayer.  Should show all names to keep files separate.

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

It should show exactly the same as your Clients Screen shows. Settings > Options > Display > in the box on the right you would hopefully have "Client Full Name, last name first"

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
JohnTheresa
Level 2

Hello George,

I do have the full names, LNF on my screen but it does not back up that way.  Also, the status dates that I set on my screen when I change status from Proforma to Info Pending does not get backed-up.  The change of status shows but not the date.  I use a passport to back up and then restore on another computer just in case this one crashes.  

John

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

"restore on another computer" is the other computer configured the same way with  full names, LNF?

I don't think I can help. This will likely need some help from a dreaded phone call to Lacerte Support. That will be a long time on hold at this time of year.

Try a few goofy things, like change the settings to show Full Name in the 2nd column and save. Try again and see what the restore looks like. 

Drag the 2nd column into the first column and see what the restore looks like.

It is probably something really "dumb" and you will spend hours chasing it down. BEEN THERE. DONE THAT.

I wish you the best of luck. If you figure out what the problem is come back and share it. 

0 Cheers
JohnTheresa
Level 2

Thank you George for your replies.

Sadly, it does not look the same.  I have spoken with one rep at Lacerte but she was only able to tell me to physically change the date after backing up the client and do the same when restoring.  That would be fine if I had only one or two clients a day but when it heats up and I get 20 to 25 a day it would be impossible to recall all those clients.  I have sent an email and hope that gets the program updated.

John

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I am unclear as to why you would be doing so many backup and restore. 

Just to confirm, you are using the Lacerte Backup (Ctrl + B) and the Lacerte Restore (Ctrl + R). Also confirm the the PASSPORT is a USB backup device. You are working with Lacerte on a local machine and not on their online version. 

This problem is just really strange. Maybe the solution is to work with client numbers. Are you face to face or doing this remotely. 

0 Cheers
JohnTheresa
Level 2

Hi George,

I meet with clients during the day at my office.  I back-up to a USB passport.  Then I go to my home office and restore to a back-up computer there.  I do most of my data entry at home.  I print there as well.  It is a duplicate of my office as I have had computer crashes in the past and rely on this safely.  So, I back-up and restore twice every day.  I do add information at the office location as well.

John

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Interesting. Sounds very much like what I have done for years with a smaller USB memory stick (flash drive). I never experienced what you are. I wish I had more ideas other than try to use just a smaller USB memory stick or update to an SSD. 

0 Cheers