Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When printing a batch of organizers, the first organizer prints fine, the rest of the organizers print offline about the 3rd page. Is there a way fix the problem.

tzabka
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Quoted from a different listserve:

We use Intuit's Lacerte tax preparation software and recently printed our client tax organizers. While using an organizer for a client tax projection, we noticed some errors on several pages. A Lacerte service representative indicated Lacerte was aware of the errors and were working to correct them. The recommendation from the rep was to wait as long as possible before printing this year's tax organizers and make sure you update your 2017 Lacerte software immediately before printing the organizers. 

The errors that we found impacted Schedules B, C, E, and F and the Office in Home deduction. The Sch B error occurs if you have more than one interest or dividend item from the same payor. Lacerte only printed one of the payor's items and dropped the others. The Sch C, E, and F errors seemed to occur when there are multiple schedules of the same type. Some prior year income and expenses amounts are either duplicated across all schedules or dropped completely. The Business Use of Home page dropped several input lines completely. 

The latest 2017 Lacerte software update seems to have corrected the problems that we found, but we do not know what other errors existed. The Lacerte service rep said that Lacerte does not have plans to send an e-blast to its customers making them aware of the problem because there have not been that many calls about it. As a professional courtesy to all of our colleagues, we ask you to help spread the word. Three things to consider: 1) if you have already printed your organizers, spot check some of them before mailing; 2) contact tax return preparers you know who use Lacerte to make them aware of the issue; 3) call Lacerte technical support in hopes that they will receive enough calls to warrant an announcement to customers. Just imagine how miserable it would be to find out in the middle of tax season that you cannot fully rely on your tax organizers. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
14 Comments 14
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee
After running updates to verify I was working with the most current version of 2017, I'm not able to duplicate this issue.

2017 Operator Programs: Version 38.1112
2017 Federal Tax: Version 38.1128
2018 Proforma: Version 38.1112

Can you tell me a little bit more about how you're setting up the batch print.  The type of organizer your selecting and what options you have set? (example: letters selected or suppressed)

I would like to be able to duplicate it, in order to illustrate the issue in depth.  I also want to determine if it's unique to your system or not.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
@IntuitAlicia  - there WAS an update yesterday (so after the OP's post)...and it may have fixed the issue.  Just FYI.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Quoted from a different listserve:

We use Intuit's Lacerte tax preparation software and recently printed our client tax organizers. While using an organizer for a client tax projection, we noticed some errors on several pages. A Lacerte service representative indicated Lacerte was aware of the errors and were working to correct them. The recommendation from the rep was to wait as long as possible before printing this year's tax organizers and make sure you update your 2017 Lacerte software immediately before printing the organizers. 

The errors that we found impacted Schedules B, C, E, and F and the Office in Home deduction. The Sch B error occurs if you have more than one interest or dividend item from the same payor. Lacerte only printed one of the payor's items and dropped the others. The Sch C, E, and F errors seemed to occur when there are multiple schedules of the same type. Some prior year income and expenses amounts are either duplicated across all schedules or dropped completely. The Business Use of Home page dropped several input lines completely. 

The latest 2017 Lacerte software update seems to have corrected the problems that we found, but we do not know what other errors existed. The Lacerte service rep said that Lacerte does not have plans to send an e-blast to its customers making them aware of the problem because there have not been that many calls about it. As a professional courtesy to all of our colleagues, we ask you to help spread the word. Three things to consider: 1) if you have already printed your organizers, spot check some of them before mailing; 2) contact tax return preparers you know who use Lacerte to make them aware of the issue; 3) call Lacerte technical support in hopes that they will receive enough calls to warrant an announcement to customers. Just imagine how miserable it would be to find out in the middle of tax season that you cannot fully rely on your tax organizers. 

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
tzabka
Level 1
Thank you.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

What is on the 3rd page? Maybe you need to select Condensed, maybe look at the carriage returns at the end of the questionnaire, or maybe wait a couple of weeks, as I believe there is another release planned. More detail might help. I print to pdf (or DMS, if you have it) on first run, just to find errors like this. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
@IntuitAlicia @Matt105  (  wth  @PhoebeRoberts  too 🙂

I'm glad I'm not printing mine yet...but I will need to very soon.

IS there going to be an update to deal with all these organizer issues?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
tzabka
Level 1
My problem is on the organizer letter.  How do you condense the letter?
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
You don't "condense" it; but you can edit it to take out/reduce/add as you see fit.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
tzabka
Level 1
Well, what is in the letter is all needed.  Lacerte is no very user friendly when it comes to editing the letters.
 Thanks for your response.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
You got that right...the word processor used by Lacerte is cumbersome at best.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee
I'm looking into any organizer updates.  I'll let you know as soon as I know more.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Thanks, I appreciate your help ....I can hold off printing for now as I generally don't mail mine until Jan 2.
But I would like to know if Lacerte is actually planning on trying to fix these issues or if I need to figure out some kind of work-around.  My post below details many, many problems.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Reduce font size. Decrease margins. Both help to fit more on page.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee
I've updated the reporting to our developers, just waiting for more info.
0 Cheers