Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Upgrade Requirement

Highlighted

I just called support and they said that Lacerte won't support system problems with Windows 7 issues but that the 2019 software will run on it and can be installed. 

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
18 Replies 18
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Did you try? Did it work?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 12

Is there an actual question here?

Microsoft, not Intuit, has called end of life and DOA to Windows 7, this month.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Highlighted

Yes a question, can I install and run Lacerte 2019 on a Windows 7 Professional machine. Consider me on a lower technical level here. 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

It probably will work but they aren't going to provide support for something that is obsolete and dangerous to use.  You can still probably buy a 1972 Pinto and it will probably run, but do you really want to drive it?

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted

Thanks. I might not be able to get a new machine up and running that fast and re-install all the programs and settings and clients for the last 3-4 years before I will want to prepare some 2019 returns. Thanks for any help and assurance. I've only been using Lacerte since 1987. 🙂

Highlighted
Level 15

@Michael-G--Ellis-CPA wrote:

Thanks. I might not be able to get a new machine up and running that fast and re-install all the programs and settings and clients for the last 3-4 years before I will want to prepare some 2019 returns. Thanks for any help and assurance. I've only been using Lacerte since 1987. 🙂

But you can get the current year up and running in a reasonable amount of time.  Keep the old computer handy and just make sure it isn't connected to the internet in the event you need to refer back to it.

Highlighted
Level 8

Have you considered upgrading to Windows 10 on the computer you have?  While it is time consuming (not for you as much as it is for your computer), the results are worth it. I did the update on a Win 7 computer with a 64 bit operating system.

Highlighted
I don’t feel it’s a strong enough machine and I’ve heard horror stories about it. I’m also not sure where the Win 7 disk and I have some programs that won’t run after for sure. I’ve heard about virtualizing Win 7 in a Win 10 machine and importing the old drive.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Get a Win10 machine ASAP.  Amazon ships w/i two days. I bet Dell will, for an extra charge.

Install your old hard drive as a second drive in the new computer; you'll thne be able to access all the data with zero security risks.

Have you renewed your PTIN?  How did you answer the question about cyber-security?  As Win7 is no longer supported, it is a HIGH cyber-security risk.  If your client's info is compromised - your professional life will become hell. 

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted

Why 2 days? Isn't the end of Win 7 support 1/20/20? 

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

She was just pointing out how fast you could get your hands on a new computer.

Highlighted
Level 15

Ummm...   because (if it were me) I wouldn't want to wait until the day support for Win7 ENDS to order/receive/set-up the replacement computer with Win 10.   I prefer to stomp out any fires that I can in advance.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted

I'm not seeing many yet that have 16GB Ram and Win 10 Pro. I'm close now with Costco in store on the spot. Thanks all. 

Highlighted
Level 15

Adding RAM after the fact isn't hard.

Highlighted
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

Adding RAM after the fact isn't hard.

But it can be if the computer doesn't allow room for it.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Those exist?

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

They did.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Minimum system requirements say you need a 64 bit operating system, with either Win10 or Win 8.1.   If you have a 64bit system with Win7 (is that a thing?) you may get away with it, but for the number of postings we've seen in here that people are struggling with installation even when they meet the minimums, I'd venture to guess you may run into some issues.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪