Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Lacerte running so slow

Lisa139
Level 2

Why is Lacerte 2018, 2019 & 2020 running so slow? I spoke to at least three tech person and no one seems to know what the problem is. We ran all necessary tools to fix issue, turned off virus scanning and firewall protection but it still not working. I was told that an advance team member would call me but I still having heard from them. It was fine until two weeks ago then when we install the 2020 program all these problems started. Please help!

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

27 Comments 27
sjrcpa
Level 15

Lacerte is a big memory hog.

How old is your computer, how much memory does it have, and how much free memory does it have?

Ex-AllStar
Lisa139
Level 2

New computer windows 10, 1TB hard drive, 8GB memory

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Lisa139 wrote:

It was fine until two weeks ago then when we install the 2020 program all these problems started. 

Out of curiosity, have you tried uninstalling 2020 to see if that speeds up 2018 and 2019?

And 8GB of memory is a bit tight if Lacerte is a memory hog.  How much "free" memory is available when you are running Lacerte?  If you open your Task Manager on the computer (Control, Alt, Delete) and click Performance, it will show much much memory is being used.  In my experience, things tend to slow down once you are using over 50%, and then REALLY slows down as you get close to being full.

abctax55
Level 15

Network or stand alone?

Are you using the appointment function & are they showing on the display?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Help Articles

Firewall and Anti-Virus Software Configuration for Lacerte Tax

OK I see you looked at AV & Firewall but there's the link just in case. 

Lacerte Program Is Running Slow

PS. In my experience, Lacerte has been slow since the additional security forced log-ins

PPS. If you have yet to experience a Solid State Drive you are missing out. Lacerte will still be slow - just less so.

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers
Lisa139
Level 2

Network, but we only use it to share files

0 Cheers
Lisa139
Level 2

I noticed it does show 50%. What should I do now?

0 Cheers
Lisa139
Level 2

I agree with all the added security Lacerte is just hanging...

After all the tool repairs it’s causing my other programs to run slow as well OMG

0 Cheers
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Help Article Common Settings for Lacerte System Administrators

Several Network nuggets in the linked Help Article 

0 Cheers
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Help Article Slow Performance in the Lacerte Tax Program

Lacerte Tax is slow on some workstations and gets progressively worse through out the day. This can be a result of the network server being upgraded or changed

0 Cheers
ssmoi139
Level 1

My IT guy went through everything in this discussion, he said it's Lacerte application. I don't know what I can do to fix this problem. I tried calling in to tech support but no one has returned my call.

User FIDO 61
Level 8

Consulted a trusted Tech and her thoughts follow

RAM at 50% is not bad really. It shouldn't slow the system down. Consistently pegged at 100% is definitely an issue. Same goes for CPU, if you see it consistently being maxed at higher than 60%-70% then system is bogging down.

0 Cheers
Jenhenheacpa
Level 3

I am in Right Networks hosting environment (and paying a fortune for it, with promises that we would not have the same issues we had when we were hosting it), and yet it's running incredibly slow as of yesterday.  Tech support not able to make any improvements!  Anyone else experiencing this?!?

0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

Ya, running a high end gamer laptop WIN 10 latest update with 16gigs memory, a hard drive that is 5x faster than a higher end SSD, i7 7700HQ CPU, 8gig GTX 1070 video card and, yes, '19, '20, '21 run about the same speed as the older laptop with 1/3rd of these qualities.  WTF am I paying for? '19 especially is buggy.  Are these running 32 bit in 64 bit environ?

0 Cheers
mikerudicpa
Level 1

Something definitely happened with the last update. Our IT support has been on multiple phone calls with Lacerte support and they have no answers. Our server specs far exceed the recommended specs and it has hijacked our CPU. Almost constantly at 100% and it has made everything laggy. We have documentation of the before and after update performance and it is obvious that something within the update is the cause.

sconnolly74
Level 2

The same slowness happens last week. I already called support and they had nothing. I have verified no problems on our end but all users now experiencing the slow down. Really great timing....

Lagging/hanging here too. 

0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

Yup,

Lags as in blue circle of death that eventually finishes so not a total crash.  Have looked at video settings and other areas but makes no difference.  Experiencing randomly on all machines which are Win10 or Win 8.  Auto save detail and show input warnings in detail tab are both off.  We use a NAS system on network for storing/sharing client files.  2020 and 2019 are not experiencing this specific problem.

Drphibes
Level 7

Update at 1:30pm PST 3/21 did not help.  Reinstalling program did not help.  Shifting work to filling out organizers and preparing files for data entry until this is resolved.  Maddening.

E-file and REP latency issues have been resolved and we are continuing to monitor closely.

0 Cheers
UMDJeremy
Level 3

@IntuitZacharyG Unfortunately today's update still hasn't addressed slowness in Lacerte that's been happening for about 2 days now. For example scrolling in Forms view after a few forms will cause my blue cursor icon to have the spinning circle and the top header bar to say (Not Responding). This did not happen until I think Sunday or yesterday.

0 Cheers
UMDJeremy
Level 3

@Drphibes Are you experiencing most of the slowness while in forms view? Input view? We're only experiencing the problem in forms view. 

Blue circle of death describes it. I've attached a picture of that.IMG_4595.jpg

0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

It was in forms view but as of this morning no problems at all.  Yesterday was all day wheels of the bus go...  We think part of the problem is the program checks in with Intuit quite often for validity depending on what the program is doing and on it's own after a time even when idle and it was that verification  process problem at Lacerte's end that was screwing everyone up.

0 Cheers
UMDJeremy
Level 3

Hmm glad you're fixed. It's better now than yesterday, yet still slow to change forms etc. 

0 Cheers
UMDJeremy
Level 3

@Strongsilence-CPA @sconnolly74 are you both still having slowness?

JaniceT
Level 1

We still have no access to Lacerte 2021.  We were told we would receive an email when the fix was completed.  No email as of yet.  Any suggestions on what to do?  We cannot do anything and it is extremely frustrating!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Run WebSetUp from the 'start' menu.

I now have three computers working again.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers