Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has there not been a box to check to extend the due date on the Federal return for the states of Louisiana and Oklahoma to June 15th?

fgt
Level 2

Why has there not been a box to check to extend the due date on the Federal return for the states of Louisiana and Oklahoma to June 15th?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Historically disaster area changes to filing deadlines have not been incorporated into the program. Only changes that affect everyone in a taxing authority's jurisdiction get built in.

Note also that even though OK / TX / LA have until 6/15 to pay the tax due with a 2020 return, if you want direct debit, you're stuck with May 17th (and until recently were stuck with April 15th). 

Jenhenheacpa
Level 3

Unacceptable and not the case.  We've definitely seen disaster changes in the program in prior years.

0 Cheers
fgt
Level 2

I'm not sure what is "unacceptable". The Lacerte program does NOT have the ability to change the due date (with the exception of having to override the due date and all of the items in the client letter that are applicable to the June 15th due date)  on the federal return if you live in the states of Louisiana, Texas or Oklahoma.  It does however have the check the box to change the due date and applicable items in the client letter for the Louisiana return. These three states have been granted an extension until June 15, 2021 where as the remainder of the states have a due date of March 17, 2021 to file and pay the Federal return.

Seems like this could be corrected at the price we pay for the program.

Jenhenheacpa
Level 3

My thoughts precisely.  It could at least let us override the payment date for after May 17th.  My unacceptable response was to the person who replied to you. I have seen Lacerte make disaster changes in prior years.  I called them last Friday and they told me this update was coming.  But it has not been updated yet...

Jenhenheacpa
Level 3

Unbelievable one, but yes.  Just this morning, Lacerte told me to file all of my extensions by May 17th as the software is not going to allow us to file extensions after that date even though ours are not due until June 15th.  And that any payments need to be made by check or on the IRS website if you want them to be made after June 15th.  So disappointed in Lacerte!  I plan to follow up with a few colleagues to find out how Thomson Reuters and CCH are handling this and I'll let you know.

sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you will find that Thomson Reuters and CH say the same as the IRS has not and said they will not update the efile schema for June 15 extensions and payments.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers