Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "Lacerte_AV.cfg"?

steven
Level 5

Today I was alerted to a file in one of our folders called Lacerte_AV.cfg.  Then I open it it is 5 lines similar to the following:

productname = Microsoft Security Essentials
version =
installdate =
manufacturer =
osarchitecture = X64

Lacerte indicates it's Lacerte related and the fact that I have a few with going back in time with different "productname" values indicates it is not caused by the AV.

These files are old enough that they go back to Win 7 era (oh how I miss it!!)so not OS specific.

What is the purpose of this file?

Why do I find it in general non-Lacerte folder locations?

I assume it can be deleted?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I googled it....looks like a legit AV configuration file.

One of the google hits showed this:

productname = Kaspersky Endpoint Security 10 for Windows
version = 10.2.6.3733
installdate = 20171202
manufacturer = Kaspersky Lab
osarchitecture = X64

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
steven
Level 5

I already did that and found same.

This does not answer my questions.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"These files are old enough that they go back to Win 7 era"

Of course they do, because Microsoft Security Essentials ended with Windows 7. In Windows 8, it was renamed Defender, and for Windows 10, it still is Defender.

.cfg filetype (or "extension") is a configuration file.

"in one of our folders"

Since I don't know your system, it's up to you to decide if you need to take any action. Example: If Lacerte crashed back then, the .cfg files might be copies of the real .cfg files, but these were logged into that folder you are examining. You might be able to delete that entire folder, in this example.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
steven
Level 5

@qbteachmt   Sorry, not following and I was not clear.  I have a number of theses files some of which go back to windows 7, but 2 of which were created today and both found in a folders that are not used by Lacerte for apps or data, though some other versions are.   In this case there was only the Lacerte_AV.cfg in the non-Lacerte folder. 

The content of the file with today's date is very similar to the Win 7, just a pointer to a different (our current) AV.

productname = ESET Security
version =
installdate =
manufacturer =
osarchitecture = X64

I do not know what generates to the file or why, so while I suspect that they are not needed, reluctant to delete them

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"I do not know what generates to the file or why"

ESET generated that newer one. AV = anti-virus. My understanding is that, even if you delete all of them, they will be recreated as you work.

You should ask ESET, if you have any questions.

steven
Level 5

@qbteachmt 

I'm skeptical ESET or the other AV platforms generate these.  I think Lacerte is generating these as:

1 - the first word is Lacerte

2 - the half dozen or so that I have at least 3 different AVs and are identical formats.

3 - Most, but not the latest, are in the Lacerte folders

I just did a search of my Lacerte folders and found an orphan URN file and some others Lacerte files  from that date and time.  I'm going to assume Lacerte crashed or at least error-ed (What else is new)

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

URN = uniform resource name. It seems to relate to file transfer or "manifest" processes, which makes sense for a program that e-files.

"The statuses are used to verify whether the translation of requested output files is complete.

Note that different output files might complete their translation processes at different times, and therefore may have different status values.

When translating a source file a second time, the previously created manifest is not deleted; it appends the information (only new translations) to the manifest."

Whether ESET or Lacerte makes the .cfg file, ESET will know what it means and does and if you need them or they get recreated on the fly. Obviously, Microsoft Essentials no longer applies. Defender is now in use. Any AVG process needs to identify or have identified the programs in use and whether they are safe or not.

I recommend asking your own system person or ESET, if you need more help.

0 Cheers