Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What date does 1040 e-filing open up for 2019 returns?

ctoukan
Level 2

There is some confusion about what the actual date is. I was told it was January 27th, and now I'm seeing in an update from the IRS Newswire, that *2020* e-filing opens on Feb 12. Anyone have an idea on this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

In all previous years, the prior-years returns could not be filed until the e-file system opened for the current year, which in this case is February 12th.

While it is POSSIBLE that changed and you can now file previous years (2019) before the current-year opening date, I've seen nothing that has said that.

I suspect that whoever from Intuit told you that just told you last year's opening date.

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
TAXOH
Level 11

February 12.

George4Tacks
Level 15

To be safe - Valentine's Day 2021.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I was told it was January 27th"

Who told you that?

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Jan 27, 2020 is when the 2019 season opened, I think thats what people kept seeing thinking it was for the 2020 season (in 2021).

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

"....and now I'm seeing in an update from the IRS Newswire"

By all means, listen to someone *other* than the official IRS announcement.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

"By all means, listen to someone *other* than the official IRS announcement."

Unless your barber told you. 😬

Slava Ukraini!
ctoukan
Level 2

I spoke with Lacerte, on a call for a different matter, and was told yesterday that it opens on the 27th. I asked this question because the IRS announcement didn't qualify if that included the 2019 year or is that was the blanket date for all efiling, not just the 2020 year filing.

0 Cheers
ctoukan
Level 2

Your sarcasm is adorable. See my reply above. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

In all previous years, the prior-years returns could not be filed until the e-file system opened for the current year, which in this case is February 12th.

While it is POSSIBLE that changed and you can now file previous years (2019) before the current-year opening date, I've seen nothing that has said that.

I suspect that whoever from Intuit told you that just told you last year's opening date.

ctoukan
Level 2

Yes, it's now clear Lacerte told me the incorrect information. Thank you for your answer!

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN "Who told you that?"

The Passsive Voice.  They (that's the pronoun they prefer) are frequently cited as an authority on tax matters.  

abctax55
Level 15

Deleted... I said I was gonna' stop with this madness.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
qbteachmt
Level 15

Here's what you see from Google:

"People also ask

Is the IRS accepting eFile 2020?
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has announced that tax season will open on Monday, January 27, 2020. The IRS will begin accepting paper and electronic tax returns that day.Jan 6, 2020"

Here's what you get from going to the IRS:

Significantly, different tax years. Or, Significantly Different tax years. Choose your punctuation.
"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.