Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update for PTC owed

Adam R
Level 3

The latest update is no longer attaching the 8962 for anyone that owes repayment of the PTC. Do you know where the guidance for this came from?  I haven't seen anything from the IRS on this yet.

Also, Lacerte is still allowing a deduction for self employed health insurance for the amount that would have been paid back, but is not being paid back. This doesn't seem correct. Is there any guidance for this stance as well?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
amynewberg
Level 1

Hi Adam - I called the Lacerte Help Desk number to ask the same question on the 8962 and they are "looking into it".   

pamdory
Level 8

I've been watching for this guidance as well and haven't seen it on irs.gov.  I'm not comfortable with that SE treatment until I can see it for myself...

ike484
Level 1

It is not just the SE health insurance deduction that it is increasing.  It will also increase the Schedule A  medical deduction if they are not self-employed.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The latest update is no longer attaching the 8962 for anyone that owes repayment of the PTC. Do you know where the guidance for this came from?"

The ARPA bill means that no one has to repay. It's in that law. It's for 2020, only.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Adam R
Level 3

Yes, but the IRS has not come out with any guidance, that I am aware of, on how it is supposed to be handled or updated the 8962 for it. It seems odd to just not file the form showing the calculation. Then there is the bigger issue about being able to deduct something you are not paying for.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Alright, let's review:

The ARPA bill passed last month waives the repayment of APTC. On this forum, since the date the bill was signed, people complained that Lacerte was not updated for Form 8962 and they were all stuck holding these returns until this update came out. Which it has. And now you think it's the wrong thing to see?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Read this topic to the End:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/form-8962/00/151499

0 Cheers
Adam R
Level 3

Personally, I don't like filing tax returns with unsupported positions. I know there is a lot of odd things this year, but claiming an SE health insurance deduction or a Sch A deduction for something they did not pay seems a little incorrect. So, yes I think justification for Lacerte's position on claiming this is a reasonable request. 

Adam R
Level 3

A quote from Drake is nice, but where is the IRS guidance they are referring to?