Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to e-mail Lacerte client to home office Win 10, Thunderbird

Drphibes
Level 7

Did my entire 2020 tax season from overseas e-mailing Lacerte client files using the E-mail Client feature in Lacerte through the Win10 default e-mail program Thunderbird to the home office.  I have not e-mailed a Lacerte client file since Dec 2021.  I am now back overseas and can not create an attached Lacerte e-mail of a client with the Win10 default e-mail of Thunderbird (my only e-mail program).  No matter what year program I use I get an "Error has occurred in the Lacerte program"  error when trying to create the e-mail.  Is there anyway else I can e-mail  a Lacerte client file and does anyone have a clue as to why now I can't do this?  All software is updated.  Thanks in advance!

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Drphibes
Level 7

Thanks everyone for your help.  It looks like 32bit programs trying to call through MAPI 64bit programs problem.  New laptop in Jan 2022 so installed Thunderbird 64bit and 32 bit programs are trying to use but can't.  Have to downgrade Thunderbird to 32 bit version.   Too bad, 64 bit is really snappy.

There is a whole MAPI compatibility article that explains this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/client-developer/outlook/mapi/building-mapi-applications-on-...

This whole issue of 32bit/64bit needs to be resolved by Intuit (and other software providers) hopefully soon. 

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
qbteachmt
Level 15

Thunderbird is provided by the FireFox Browser people, Mozilla. It's not a Windows Microsoft-default program.

"All software is updated."

Which might be why you are having issues. Updates will set new functions, features and settings.

You might start with this article:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/general-login/help/e-mailing-a-lacerte-client-file-to-anothe...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Did Thunderbird somehow upgrade itself to the 64-bit version? They offer a 32-bit option, but I cannot remember if 64-bit might be preferred by Thunderbird. Presume no 64-bit is compatible with Lacerte. Intuit specifically mentions "Microsoft Outlook (64-bit versions of Outlook are not supported)"

Link to available versions of Thunderbird (32-bit offerings underneath) 

Download Thunderbird in your language — Thunderbird

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
Drphibes
Level 7

Yup,

Had already reviewed this article to no avail.  I have no problem with right clicking any file such as .pdf's and .doc's and send them to e-mail where the e-mail is automatically created with the file attached.  However, I just realized when I go to send to e-mail from another 3rd party software (Adobe Acrobat 7 professional) I get an error sending to Thunderbird so it sounds like a Thunderbird issue with 3rd party apps.  I'll have to investigate from that direction.  Thanks for the help.

0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

Thanks everyone for your help.  It looks like 32bit programs trying to call through MAPI 64bit programs problem.  New laptop in Jan 2022 so installed Thunderbird 64bit and 32 bit programs are trying to use but can't.  Have to downgrade Thunderbird to 32 bit version.   Too bad, 64 bit is really snappy.

There is a whole MAPI compatibility article that explains this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/client-developer/outlook/mapi/building-mapi-applications-on-...

This whole issue of 32bit/64bit needs to be resolved by Intuit (and other software providers) hopefully soon.