Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble rolling client files from 2018 to 2019

Highlighted
Level 1

Is any one having difficulty transferring client files from 2018 to 2019.  It appears that when I try to roll a group of clients over from 2018 to 2019 that the performa software package can't convert all the files and gets locked up necessitating a shutdown of the program .

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Level 15

Try unlocking the files, & re-proforma.  For some reason, occasionally locked files cause issues.

Unlocking the file, unless you open the file, doesn't change any data.  BUT, just in case, be sure you have a good, clean, new backup (or 2) first.

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Level 1

I'm having the same problem.  I initially tried to transfer all the clients at once but kept having the program freeze necessitating a shutdown of the program.  By transferring smaller batches of clients I have been able to narrow it down to one particular client file.  I have tried transferring this client both locked and unlocked with the same result.  The program freezes.  I even tried making a copy of the file and transferring the file.  Same result.  Hopefully someone can give us a workable suggestion.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Copy the file -  renaming it to something VERY simple (123, ABC, etc)  & try it again.  And maybe, in that copy, take out any special characters in the charitable contributions screen (either cash or non-cash).

I vaguely remember an issue last year when the file has any special characters (either in the name, or in charitable contributions, or ??) that caused problems.

Good luck.

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 1

Since I first wrote my first request, I spent several hours on the telephone with Lacerte representatives yesterday.   I learned a few  things of interest about proforming our 1000+ clients that were all locked files with simple 4 digit numerical names.

1. Before you seek help from Lacerte about proforma issues with large batches of clients, try setting them to roll over in the evening after no one else is on your system.  Many of the clients I thought I was having trouble with just took a really, really long time to convert from 2018 to 2019.  When I was trying it initially I would think the program was stopped/locked up, but given enough time it seemed to work itself out.  If that doesn't work, then call them for help.

2.  If you have a client, or a few clients, that just won't convert, then call and ask about those clients directly.  I ended up sending them a copy of a client file stripped of PII and they found what seemed to be a very random work around to get it to convert, but it did.

3. It may help to restore all the files to a new directory and unlock them, as locked files may have more problems. 

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Chris