Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Health insurance for 1 shareholder in S Corp gets added to wages, are the health insurance premiums subject to social security and medicare tax?

commoncents
Level 1

I have added the health insurance premiums to the W2 for the 1 shareholder in S Corp.  I know in the past no social security tax or medicare tax was required.  is it now required under new tax law 2018?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

They are added to Social Security and Medicare only if health insurance isn't offered to other employees. 

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

They are added to Social Security and Medicare only if health insurance isn't offered to other employees. 

Slava Ukraini!
asparrow08
Level 2

Here is a scenario: there are two shareholders - one is covered by their husbands military health insurance and the other shareholder’s premiums are reimbursed by the business.  These heath insurance reimbursements would NOT be subject to FICA, correct?

The rationale would be that this is still being “offered” to the first shareholder; however, they don’t need it due to the health insurance being covered by her husband.  Am I thinking about this correctly?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You are correct.

Ex-AllStar