Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxpayer lives abroad all year, has foreign health insurance, has California rental properties. Is there an exemption for CA healthcare coverage or file CA NR

celine389
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 39 > California Premium ... > Enter a 1 for 12 month coverage

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

The program will automatically exempt nonresidents from the penalty without any entry.  Are you seeing anything different?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
celine389
Level 3

Thank you.  I just found it myself by reading CA form 3853.  I just wonder, when I just enter full year covered, how do they know?  with the foreign address? 

I have other clients who live mostly abroad, returning to California a few times during the year to their home, file as California resident, have health insurance coverage  overseas, still claim have full year coverage without any 1095-A,B or C?  Should I attach form 3853 with the exemption with the CA return?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

How do they know?  Take a look at Sch CA (540NR).

Your client being overseas most of the them doesn't necessarily make him/her a nonresident.  CA has a very clear safe harbor and we make sure our clients understand how their presence in CA needs to be managed provided all the other conditions are met.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

If they are a CA resident, I don't think they will qualify for the living overseas exemption.

I'll let itonewbie and our CA preparers weigh in.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

It is possible for CA residents who fail the safe harbor but qualify for foreign earned income exclusion to still meet the exemption for individual mandate because §10965.3 of CA's Insurance Code adopts the definition of MEC under IRC §5000A.

Still an AllStar