Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superseding business returns

alecko
Level 2

Why doesn't Lacerte have the feature to file a superseded business return?  Other software providers do and the IRS states that if the original return was required to be e-filed, so must the superseded return.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can click the Amended box and Efile it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
alecko
Level 2

I realize that, but I don't want to amend it, I want to replace it.  According to the IRS, the software should have a box to check when electronically submitting a superseding return.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive only heard of superseded returns being mailed in with Superseded Return written across the top.
Whats the difference between superseded and amended? Dont they both accomplish the same thing?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

What do you mean by a "business return" ?  A 1040 with Schedule C, E, or F?  Or a 1065 or 1120?

alecko
Level 2

1065, 1120, 1041

alecko
Level 2

See pub 4163 regarding superseding returns and amended return e-filing.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- wrote:
Whats the difference between superseded and amended? Dont they both accomplish the same thing?

There are some elections that need to be made on an "original" tax return.

Because a superseded return replaces the first return (rather than an amended return changes the first return) I think a superseded return qualifies as an "original" return.

BobKamman
Level 15

Don't ask us, ask Intuit.  We're just customers, like you.  Let us know in the unlikely event that you get an answer from someone who made the decision.  

alecko
Level 2

I did ask Intuit, and they basically said idk.  I just wondered if anyone else out there had come across this and had a solution other than paper filing a superseding return, which I'm worried will get messed up.  I'll call IRS.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Are you sure other software allows this now during the time of coronavirus?  The superseding business returns apparently still require some human input and procedures, difficult to do from home in pajamas.

Modernized e-File (MeF) Amended Returns Requiring Expedited Handling
  1. Special handling is required to ensure certain MeF amended returns are processed timely and refunds are issued within the 45 day interest-free period. The following procedures were developed to identify and route amended carryback returns and returns expecting a refund of $100,000.00 or more.

0 Cheers
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee

Update - New for 2021 Lacerte does offer the option of filing a Superseded Return in the Partnership, Corporate, S Corporate, and Fiduciary modules.

The option to mark a return (as well as instructions to file) can be found in the Electronic Filing screens in a section titled Superseded Return.

0 Cheers
Bowie
Level 1

I see Lacerte now allows preparers to efile superceded FEDERAL BUSINESS entity returns and Form 1041's.  What's the point if youcan't also file the same state superceded returns?  CA FTB has accepted superceded business entity and Form 541's since 2021.  When will Lacerte update the program to efile state (CA) superceded returns?