Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

summarizing 1099 B detail and attaching the pdf of the entire 1099B to the tax return

gn
Level 3

I have a client who just came to me with a few 1099-B's from a few brokerage accounts with thousands of lines of short term stock trades. Since all trades are short term there are also thousands of those trades with wash sale adjustments. Since Lacerte has a limitation on entering this many trades with no ability to enter wash sales unless I go in and enter it line by line which will take days, does anyone else have a work around for this? I am thinking of entering the summary data on input screen 17 for sales but not sure if I have to enter the summary by security in each account on separate lines or if I can just enter the totals by brokerage account on one line and how do I link it to the attached pdf's of the brokers 1099-B's? 

Has anyone done this before, how did you enter the summary was it by brokerage account in total on one line or by security by brokerage account on separate lines and where there any IRS or state inquiries? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would do one line be brokerage account. https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-8949/help/individual-form-8949-exception-2-to-reporting...

IRS already has all this data, we are just parroting it for them. 🐦

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would do one line be brokerage account. https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-8949/help/individual-form-8949-exception-2-to-reporting...

IRS already has all this data, we are just parroting it for them. 🐦

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
DS3182
Level 2

I do a line for each brokerage account and character of the transaction. For example:

Schwab - 2099 Long Term Covered

Schwab - 2099 Long Term Noncovered

Schwab - 2099 Short Term

I don't attach anything. The IRS already gets the data from the 1099s and I just feel that the pdf attachment provides nothing that they don't already have.