Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub S Corp with Income & Expenses in both CA & MN

ljhyer
Level 3

I want to allocate income & expenses between the two states.  The only allocations open to me within Lacerte is income & payroll expense.  No allocations are available within the program for any of the other expenses.   I'm just not sure how to handle this. 

Let me provide some basic info:  This is a CA Corp that opened another office in MN in 2019.  Significant income and expenses were generated in both states.  There are 2 shareholder's who are residents of both states, they split their time so a Composite filing in MN would not be available to them since they are residents.  Additionally, as I understand it there is a filing requirement in MN, as well as CA so apportioning it wouldn't work either.  Of course, correct me if I am wrong on my assumptions here.

What I want to do is file a consolidated Federal return and a CA return showing CA income & expense only and a MN return showing MN income & expense only and have them both tie back to the federal return without confusion. 

How do I file these returns correctly.  I appreciate all your input in advance.

Thank you,

Linda 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Minnesota income will be allocated based on sales, payroll, and property within the state.  I assume CA is somewhat similar.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

Minnesota income will be allocated based on sales, payroll, and property within the state.  I assume CA is somewhat similar.

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Most states apportion income using sales, payroll and property. Very rarely is allocating using exact income and expenses allowed.

Ex-AllStar