Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepped up basis rules for inherited property

peauff
Level 3

I have a client who co-owned property with a family member (50/50), and received full title after that family member's death.  To compute the stepped up basis of the property for it's subsequent sale, I have adjusted only the inherited 50% basis per below.  Does this make sense?

ClientFamily MemberTotal
Original Cost90,00090,000180,000
Value when inherited112,500112,500225,000
Home Basis For Sale   
Cost90,00090,000180,000
Stepped up basis 22,50022,500
Basis after inheritance90,000112,500202,500

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I agree with the logic of your calculation. If there was any prior depreciation taken, I'd keep the two halves as separate assets, but that's a matter of personal preference. If the decedent had any passive activity losses suspended with respect to the property, there are sometimes some weird adjustments to basis, too.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes

Ex-AllStar
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I agree with the logic of your calculation. If there was any prior depreciation taken, I'd keep the two halves as separate assets, but that's a matter of personal preference. If the decedent had any passive activity losses suspended with respect to the property, there are sometimes some weird adjustments to basis, too.

Accountant-Man
Level 12

Except that I believe in CA(and maybe other community property states) the inheritor gets a step up for 100%. Although that might only apply for married couples.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

You only get community property treatment if the property is held as community property. I don't think there are any states which permit non-spouses to hold property as a community.

BobKamman
Level 15

"Family member" could include spouse, but probably doesn't here.  

If there was no depreciation, maybe it was just raw land.  If it was a second home, how much of the selling expenses would you allow?  

0 Cheers