Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-starting depreciation after death

jerry
Level 5

My client's spouse died mid-way through 2020; they owned many rental properties.  Since California is a community property state, her attorney and I have agreed that the surviving spouse has 100% step-up on her inherited property, including the rentals, and we can re-start depreciation on all of them, at the full appraised value at date-of-death.  The client has obtained all of these appraisals.

My question is how to do this in Lacerte.  There would be depreciation at the old rates for part of the year, until DoD, and then new depreciation starting at DoD.  Is there an easy way to do this?  At least all of the improvements over the years don't have to be re-entered (there are 62 assets on the dep'n schedule)!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Input a sale date for all the old assets (Maybe learn that Ctrl + down arrow or Ctrl + up arrow will jump between assets at that entry) as the date of death, but do not input a sale price. 

Enter a new asset (or probably two - land and improvement) with day of death for each of the properties. Hopefully the appraisal will give the the allocation of land and improvement. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Input a sale date for all the old assets (Maybe learn that Ctrl + down arrow or Ctrl + up arrow will jump between assets at that entry) as the date of death, but do not input a sale price. 

Enter a new asset (or probably two - land and improvement) with day of death for each of the properties. Hopefully the appraisal will give the the allocation of land and improvement. 

jerry
Level 5

Thanks, George.

And Ctrl-arrow is brilliant - I didn't know that!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@jerry  Check out https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-return/help/keyboard-shortcuts-for-lacerte/00/96376

There are some really functional keyboard shortcuts. I really hate the mouse, but love the keyboard.

ENJOY!

0 Cheers
jerry
Level 5

Takes me back to 1982 and DOS 3.1!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@jerry How about CP/M? My first PC was a Morrow

Two floppy drives - one for program and one for data. AH! Those were the days!

0 Cheers