Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a tax business "client list"

lovetaxes
Level 3

Where can I obtain information on selling a tax practice's "client list"? Are there specific rules to follow?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lovetaxes
Level 3

Thanks so much for replying to my request re: selling my business.

Another reply that I received in response to my request along with your advise to check Quickfinder, etc., both came in handy. 

I will always appreciate the fact that total strangers are willing to give of their time and knowledge to assist others, like me.

Many thanks,

Lovetaxes

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Schedule D, capital gain as sale of "goodwill". https://s3.amazonaws.com/KMGWebsite/IncomeTaxAllocationonSale.pdf

Be sure to include IRS 8594 in the return. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
abctax55
Level 15

The Tax Book, or Quickfinder, are both good basic research sources.  One of them should be in your library to research such questions.

Even google has tons of info:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-securebrowser&type=8153&param1=e0f50a024ae1...86.0.6536.113&param4=17|US|2.5.127|1.23.0.675&p=sale+of+client+list+tax+treatment

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
George4Tacks
Level 15

Sometimes things just don't post right

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-securebrowser&type=8153&param1=e0f50a024ae1...

I think the key is you must hit ENTER at the end of long links or it does what it did. 

Interesting that you say "Even google has tons of info:" and use Yahoo. BINGO!

Obviously I miss the chaos of tax season. ;-}

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
lovetaxes
Level 3

Hello George4Tacks,

I've been fortunate enough to receive many valuable responses from you that have saved me potentially hours of research on issues I had little or no specific knowledge of at the time I posed my question(s).

You've always lead me down the correct path and explained when necessary how to best proceed. Should I follow through with the sale of my practice this year, I'll be referring the buyer to the community board in hopes they will have the same opportunities to call on you for help.

Don't ever change, George. I'll remember you fondly. AND, should I stay on for another year I would guess there is a pretty good chance that our paths will cross for tax year 2021.

Stay well,

Bob 

0 Cheers
lovetaxes
Level 3

Thanks so much for replying to my request re: selling my business.

Another reply that I received in response to my request along with your advise to check Quickfinder, etc., both came in handy. 

I will always appreciate the fact that total strangers are willing to give of their time and knowledge to assist others, like me.

Many thanks,

Lovetaxes