Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 179 on a Fiduciary Return

PXDeAngelis
Level 2

I do not see where to elect out of 179 on a 1041.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

There is a difference between 100% bonus depreciation and Section 179 depreciation.

Estates and trusts cannot claim the 179 deduction.

Ergo, I believe you are getting bonus depreciation and want to elect out.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
sjrcpa
Level 15

179 itself is an election.

Do you mean elect out of bonus depreciation?

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

There is an input for Special depreciation allowance: 1=yes, 2=no [O] This is secret code for what I think you are asking about, also known as Bonus Depreciation. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
PXDeAngelis
Level 2

I tried that and am still getting the 179 deduction. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Where are you see the 179 deduction? On the depreciation Schedule? i.e. 179/SDA? or are you seeing in on the Form 4562, line 6 or are you maybe seeing it on line 14?

You really need to make a concerted effort to get 179. You must make an entry to get that.

You really need to make a concerted effort NOT to get SDA. You must make an entry to make it go away.  

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
sjrcpa
Level 15

There is a difference between 100% bonus depreciation and Section 179 depreciation.

Estates and trusts cannot claim the 179 deduction.

Ergo, I believe you are getting bonus depreciation and want to elect out.

Ex-AllStar
PXDeAngelis
Level 2

Thank you. I missed a checkbox. 

PXDeAngelis
Level 2

Thank you. I was seeing it on the depreciation schedule, since the 4562 is not yet available. The column was SDA/179 and since it was for the entire amount of the asset I mistook it for 179.