Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling Federal QE electronic payments for 2020

SoloMio
Level 2

How can I change (i.e. override) the DATE for an electronic payment of a 2020 federal quarterly estimate?

I want a one-time 2020 estimated payment to get processed asap with e-filing the 2019 Form 1040 today, 10/15/20.

If enter as the 2020 3rd QE, get an e-file reject because today is too far after the 9/15/20 "due date".  
But I don't want to enter it as the 4th QE -- then it won't get paid until 1/15/2021 !
Any way to override the automatic federal QE payment dates??? 

Or, schedule an "extra"/ interim QE  electronic payment inbetween the official quarterly due dates?

(The state return allows me to enter the specific e-payment date I want, so no problem telling it today's date.  One would think the fed could be equally versatile in accepting an electronic payment when the taxpayer wants to send it, LOL ....  Obviously not quite on time for Q3, some underpayment penalty will apply; but that's not a good reason to refuse the payment until it's a full 4 months late!  Taxpayer might spend the $ before then ;D)

THANKS!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Intuit_RSTaxMan
Employee
Employee

Hi,

The 1040 federal quarterly estimate does not allow you to alter the date. They required to efile estimated tax payments on the date defined in the IRS specifications.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
qbteachmt
Level 15

The IRS has portals for Direct Pay, and electronic, and EFTPS access.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
SoloMio
Level 2

Thanks.  Have you had positive experiences with either of the first two?  I need to keep it as non-fussy as possible for this client. 

I tried out EFTPS years (decades?) ago, and it just wasn't worth the hassle -- at least at the time.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Yes; I have had EFTPS accounts for myself and clients. I have used the Direct Pay portal because it doesn't require the set up and waiting time for EFTPS.

Here:

https://www.irs.gov/payments

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Intuit_RSTaxMan
Employee
Employee

Hi,

The 1040 federal quarterly estimate does not allow you to alter the date. They required to efile estimated tax payments on the date defined in the IRS specifications.

0 Cheers