Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule C Apportion Multi-State - Assets, Rents in One State

User FIDO 61
Level 8

Apportion a Schedule C business across multiple states. All states have gross receipts and wages, but all assets and rents are in only one state.

All details in apportionment section of Schedule C have been entered. But it does not seem to be working.

• What specific steps are necessary to prepare?
  • Or, can this even be done in this way?

Yes this is a first attempt at taming such a return. Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated! 

(Related? Have found Help reference to "Set Apportionment Options" in Settings > Options > Tax Return but I'm not finding Section "Multi-State Options" where Apportionment settings are to exist)

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15

For each entry in Schedule C, use Ctrl + E to allocate that income/expense/depreciation item etc. What states are you working with. What is the resident state. Some don't really care where the income came from, they tax it anyway. The net affect is how the credit for taxes paid other states shows up. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
User FIDO 61
Level 8

State receipts: AL, GA, IL, IN, KY, MS, MO, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV, WI

Resident state with Assets & Rent: OH

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Any payroll?

Are you sure you have to file in all those states? What gives them nexus?

Ex-AllStar
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Payroll in three states plus resident state. May not have to file in all of them.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

First, read the instructions for each state to see what constitutes nexus for filing requirement. This may lead you to state law.

After you determine where you need to file, set up each state in Lacerte and make sure to enter the nonresident info for each state. Make sure Ohio is listed as resident state.

Ex-AllStar
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Okay, I do need to check for nexus but I've done the rest. It still looks like the schedule C details have to be allocated to each state manually.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Yes, but you can cheat a bit. Suppose you have one big deduction for Office Supplies > You can do all of your allocation there. You are really only concerned that the net of Schedule C be accurate for each state, not necessarily that each income and expense item matches. You might be able to  get the proper net just by tweaking the Gross Income. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
User FIDO 61
Level 8

✔️Help Article How to allocate amounts on a multi-state 1040