Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule A - why is Lacerte taking Std Deduction vs Itemizing when Itemizing > std ded?

KariA
Level 2

I have a high net worth client and with mortgage interest, charity, etc. he is over the standard deduction; however, Lacerte is not allowing the higher itemized deduction to go thru.  Am I missing something?  I thought this year there was no limitation on Sch A?  Thanks for your help!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

@KariA I believe you have an input error, somewhere. Did you check or input something for any of the first entries in Schedule A that might force Std Ded? Did you check the box under filing status in Screen 1 that might force Std Ded? Did you check the box mentioned by @Bobby200 that forces Sch A to get the above the line charitable deduction (You can't have both above the line and itemized deductions - one or the other).

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
Bobby200
Level 3

Did you check the box for the $300 above the line deduction?  I am fairly sure that forces the standard deduction in lieu of the $300.  Meaning, you get the Standard Deduction and $300, or else you get Schedule A.  Not both Schedule A and the $300 above the line.

KariA
Level 2

Thank you, yes, Lacerte does handle the charitable this way.  That was not my question.  The overall Sch A TOTAL of itemized deductions is exceeding the std deduction of $24,800 but Lacerte isn't accepting it. For 2020, there isn't supposed to be a limitation on Itemizing so I am unclear why Lacerte is stopping the Itemized deduction when it is about $4,000 higher than the std deduction.  Thx

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@KariA I believe you have an input error, somewhere. Did you check or input something for any of the first entries in Schedule A that might force Std Ded? Did you check the box under filing status in Screen 1 that might force Std Ded? Did you check the box mentioned by @Bobby200 that forces Sch A to get the above the line charitable deduction (You can't have both above the line and itemized deductions - one or the other).

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
elbcpa
Level 1

Great!  While we spent 30 minutes with a customer service rep to figure this out I came online to research if anyone was having the same problem.  Rep couldn't figure it out but the Cash Contribution selection was the issue!

Thanks.

sjrcpa
Level 15

We recommend starting here first. No hold time for one thing.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Karen Mathews
Level 1

Definitely answered my question by "unchecking" the charitable deduction box to force additional $300 and additing to standard deduction.  When I "unchecked" the box I got Sch A deductions rather than standard deduction.