Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S- Corp Contribution

jlew1229
Level 3

I have an S-Corp Client. They are obligated to have 5 affordable homes within on of their current subdivisions Part of the approval was to earmark 5 lots that would deemed affordable. They are wondering they simply gift 5 lots to the local housing authority, what kind of tax benefit this would have for the S-Corp? Instead of building the 5 affordable homes.

I know that an S-Corp cannot make the contribution  If a trust, estate, partnership, or corporation makes a gift, the individual beneficiaries, partners, or stockholders are considered donors and may be liable for the gift and GST taxes. A gratuitous transfer of property by a corporation is considered to be a gift by the shareholders to the donee, while a gift to a corporation is considered to be a gift to its shareholders

My question is, does the shareholder have to have a basis in the S-Corp to be able to take the contribution.  I am not sure if my shareholders have as much basis as the actual land donation will be.   

Thanks
Jacquie

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

If the local housing authority is a government agency, giving it the lots would be a noncash charitable contribution by the S Corp which is allowed.

If value is >$5,000 S Corp needs to have them appraised. 8283 needs to be filed with 1120S.

Basis rules apply to S Corp shareholders. If they can't use the deduction this year it will carryover until they have basis.

Ex-AllStar
jlew1229
Level 3

Thank you very much !!  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers