Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report stock gains by Box letter

DennyBriBri2
Level 2

Per my 1099-B I have short and long term gains that are to be reported in a certain box letter, i.e. short term gains where basis is reported to the IRS that have Box A checked.  This would go to Part I, 1b, however, Lacerte places values in 1a. 

Is there a place to indicate the box that is checked?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Edit: Wait, you're not asking about the 8949 presentation, your complaint is just that the covered transactions flow to Line 1a, rather than Line 1b, of the Schedule D? Read the Schedule D instructions; that's where they're supposed to go unless there are column (g) adjustments. 

Original response:

Enter a 1 for "basis not reported to IRS" in either of the circled fields, for each transaction.

Screenshot 2021-01-21 134021.png

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

To force the 8949, which in turn should force everything onto Line 1b, enter a 1 here:

Screenshot 2021-01-21 134716.png

0 Cheers
DennyBriBri2
Level 2

Phoebe,

My basis was reported to the IRS.  So I left that blank.  Additionally the 1099-B states for these short term covered securities gains that Box A is checked.  Yet Lacerte places the values in line 1a and I want them in line 1b (Box A).

Same is true for my long term covered securities where basis is reported and Box D is checked.  These are showing on line 8a and I want them on 8b (Box D).

I have verified the dates relate to S/T and L/T, and have left Basis rptd blank.

0 Cheers
DennyBriBri2
Level 2

Well that worked and thank you.  However, that is clear as mud.  Seems it would be simple and obvious to the TP if they can allow us to check the letter of the box we want. 

0 Cheers
DennyBriBri2
Level 2

Phoebe,

I'm so sorry to reply late.  Yes, it worked fine.  You have a wonderful day and thank you for helping me out.

Dennis

0 Cheers