Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received confirmation that client's return was accepted by IRS but IRS has no record of receiving- Why? And how can it be fixed?

RenaCPA
Level 2

efiled a client's return with payment to be taken electronically on a certain date.  Received confirmation that return was accepted by IRS.  IRS did not take the client's payment when specified and so client checked account with IRS and account states that they have not received a return for 2020.  Need assistance on how this happened, how it can be fixed, etc......

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

12 Comments 12
IRonMaN
Level 15

If they "checked" by using the IRS "where's my refund", that thing is as reliable as a 1972 Yugo.  Electronic payments are just backlogged, like everything else at the IRS.

Slava Ukraini!
RenaCPA
Level 2

no they did not use "where's my refund" as they owe $ not getting a refund.  They created an account with IRS and looked at transcript and account history.  Trying to find out why the IRS did not take their payment as requested when e-filed.

sjrcpa
Level 15

There's a big lag between when an efiled return is accepted and when it gets posted to that other databse.

I spoke to a client this morning whose payment was debited in March, per their bank account, but it does not show in the IRS system yet.

Ex-AllStar
kim1
Level 1

We are having the same issue....clients whose balance due and/or 1st quarter estimate were scheduled to be automatically withdrawn from their bank accounts, and have not been.  One was a balance due, where the date was manually overridden to be in March - nothing was withdrawn.  Others with 1st quarter estimates, which were due April 15th - nothing taken from their accounts.

RenaCPA
Level 2

It hasn't hit my client's bank account yet either.  We had set it to be withdrawn on 4/5.  still nothing from account.

I set mine to be taken on 4/14 and it was taken on that date per my bank account.  

RenaCPA
Level 2

yes Kim1 exactly issue I am having with mine.  

George4Tacks
Level 15

If it helps any, IRS has not yet taken their payment from the bank. State was Johnny on the Spot and got theirs on the 15th. IRS is not as quick on the draw. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
ckevin
Level 3

Rena, I efiled a clients 2020 return in March. I have the efile confirmation saying the return was received March 6. Ordered a transcript last week. End of May. Transcript says no return on file.

Have you resolved the situation you had, where the return was efiled and received but the IRS says the return wasn't filed?

0 Cheers
bheizer
Level 4

I have had six clients call me to say they haven't received their federal refund....but they have received their state refund.  Have confirmation that return was filed.....when client calls the automated system,.IRS saying return was not filed.

They had to be filed or the state wouldn't have received the return.

Anyone have any advice?  Calling the practitioner hotline, I get message, "due to high volume........"

Can't get through to anyone.

Does anyone know of IRS number to call where you can actually talk to someone?

0 Cheers
ckevin
Level 3

I emailed with a retired IRS staff that was the IRS rep. at major CPE presentations in SC. He said IRs is probably to blame  but to push ProSeries to resolve with IRS. ProSeries has the contacts at IRS to resolve this quicker and easier. So I am going to call ProSeries....now.

0 Cheers
RenaCPA
Level 2

Well, the IRS finally took the client's payment electronically so I would assume that meant they processed the return.  But the client did not go back and check.  they just wanted to make sure their payment was made on time.

After posting this, I saw from several professional connections and groups that the IRS has been very far behind on everything from processing returns to taking electronic payments to sending refunds.  And I even saw a statement from the IRS as well about it.

I do have some clients that have yet to receive their refund and per the IRS site, they are still processing.

bheizer
Level 4

I asked a friend who used Drake software and she reported no problems with refunds.....sounds like this could be with ProSeries.....if it is just wish they would own up and get the problem fixed.

0 Cheers