Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QBI Loss carryforward

garyfranks
Level 1

Does anyone know the screen where I enter a carryforward loss to reduce the QBI deduction in the current year?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

For future reference, Lacerte has this snifty feature:
Go to where you expect the info/amount to appear. Right click on that field, then click on "jump to input". That will *usually* take you to where you to input the info (or give you the various options when there are multiple places).

I'm not sure it works on F 8995 or not.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

9 Comments 9
abctax55
Level 15

Sch C?

Left side, under 'Sections', then under 'Prior Year Unallowed  Passive Losses.   Then down a bit to QBI.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
garyfranks
Level 1

It's from an S Corp that i didn't prepare last year.  

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

For future reference, Lacerte has this snifty feature:
Go to where you expect the info/amount to appear. Right click on that field, then click on "jump to input". That will *usually* take you to where you to input the info (or give you the various options when there are multiple places).

I'm not sure it works on F 8995 or not.

( Generic Comment )"
abctax55
Level 15

Likely in the same general area then - PAL carryforwards.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
jrescpa1
Level 2

Individual program. Screen 15 NOL.  Cur. Yr NOL / Misc.  At the bottom of the screen see Qualified Business Loss Carryovers. 

mgdtax
Level 3

Can't make this work for the carryover to appear on Form 8995 line 3.  I did not prepare last year's return, so need to enter.  It appears as an NOL c/o, not QBI c/o, even though I am selecting QB Loss Carryover on the bottom left.  How do I differentiate between entering an NOL c/o and a QB c/o?

0 Cheers
mgdtax
Level 3

Forgot to mention that this is for a Sch E rental activity.   

Thank you

0 Cheers
taxmanbing04
Level 2

You may have figured it out by now, but if you enter the loss where you've indicated, it should show up on "Form 8995-A Sch C" which is a second page.  You should see it on line 2 of that form, then it will cancel out QBI income of various sources on that Sch C such that the amounts on Form 8995-A are reduced or eliminated.

0 Cheers
mgdtax
Level 3

Thank you for your response. 

I did figure it out - the issue was that my screen was not showing the bottom part of the screen 15, the grid entry.   I had to physically drag the bottom of the screen up to display all the additional fields, and I was able to see where to enter the QBI carryforward.

It is now showing up on Form 8995, line 3, as expected.  Form 8995-A does not apply to this client.

Thank you