Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QBI Deduction

taxlady2008
Level 3

I am so confused.  Is the W-2 wages the total wages for all the employees in the company or just the shareholder's W-2 wages?  If all W-2 wages are 500,000 and out of the $500,000, $100,000 of the W-2 wages were for the sole shareholder in an S corp, which W-2 wages are they referring to?  The total of $500,000 or just $100,000?  Do you need to make any adjustments for the Shareholders wages of $100,000?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

ALL wages are used in the QBID computation.   

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
abctax55
Level 15

ALL wages are used in the QBID computation.   

( Generic Comment )"
taxlady2008
Level 3

Thank you for your response.  Do I need to deduct the shareholds wages from the S corp from the QBI?

abctax55
Level 15

Lacerte handles all of this quite well.... ARE you using Lacerte?

( Generic Comment )"
itonewbie
Level 15

Agree with Anna.

For fundamental questions about what constitutes W-2 wages, you may like to refer to TD-Reg-107892-18 and Rev. Proc. 2019-11.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
taxlady2008
Level 3

I am using Lacerte.  On the Individual side, why isn't Lacerte deducting the shareholder wages from QBI?  I am not sure if I need to connect the W-2 wages to the activity or manually enter the wages to deduct from QBI.  Also, lacerte isn't deducting the 2% shareholders health insurance. 

0 Cheers