Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Police officer injured pay

Ruth1
Level 4

Nothing like the last minute folks....officer just dropped off his W2 which shows a full year of wage and withholding along with paperwork from the state saying it is mostly tax free federal and state because he was out injured. Obviously I cant just change his W2 on the spot. Other than sending him back to his employer ( The state-insert emoji here) does anyone have any advise on how to report or not report this W2?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

File an extension .  Then have him work on getting the W-2 corrected.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I would think the non-taxable portion wouldn't be included on the W2.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Ruth1
Level 4

Me too but it isn't. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Being "mostly" tax free and "out" injured, seems like you should see a Sick Pay or Paid Leave value. You would not change the W2. Perhaps there was another payor?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Ruth1
Level 4

Yup, no 3rd party or sick pay checked. Would never change a w2. Just an expression. 🙂

Thanks fro responding. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The injured officers Ive had only have their taxable income reported on the W2, their disability paid by the county isn't included, so Ive never tried to back it out.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Ruth1
Level 4

Thank you for your response. The gross wages and withholding are clearly for a full years work even though the officer only worked 2 1/2 mos. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

File an extension .  Then have him work on getting the W-2 corrected.

Ex-AllStar
Ruth1
Level 4

Yes, thank you. I'm afraid that is the answer to all this but we are dealing with the Commonwealth of MA. ;-(

0 Cheers