Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overpayment NYS IT-205

frank550
Level 2

Hi,

I have an overpayment on a  2019 NYS IT-205 which I want to credit, but no matter how I input the 2020 estimate fields it wants to refund the entire amount.    The return is a fiscal year of 4/4/19 - 3/31/20

Thanks!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
frank550
Level 2

So problem solved, here is what support had me do.

This is Destiny with Lacerte Support this email is regarding your call today about New York 1041 overpayment of tax not applying to next years tax. This is what I have found, due to this being an estate return and estates generally subject to estimated tax payments if the estate has not been open for over 2 years, that is the reason this is not working for the state but is in federals case; there is a way for you to see this is the issue as well: go to screen 2.1 miscellaneous Information and look for the override field 1=decedents estate open for over 2 years, 2=leave question blank(O) and enter a 1 this allows the overpayment to be applied to next years tax. 

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 12 > 2020 Estimated Tax > State column, first item Apply overpayment....  >Select 5, 6 or 7 depending on amounts of refund and 2020 estimates. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
frank550
Level 2

It should be so easy.  The issue is when you change to a fiscal year.  I can all the steps mentioned and get the result I want, but when I change the return to a fiscal year ending 03 it will only refund the overpayment.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 1 . Change FYE from 12 to 3 makes no change. Did you also make entries in Screen 2 for a part year? 

abctax55
Level 15

I don't speak "New York", but when I've had similar issues with CA,  I've sometimes solved the problem by plugging in a big amount in the *next* year tax liability to fool the system into thinking estimates are necessary.  

Good luck

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
frank550
Level 2

Yep, had  screen 2 completed.

0 Cheers
frank550
Level 2

Seems CA solution stays in CA, thanks for trying.  I'm on to support.

George4Tacks
Level 15
Why is screen 2 completed? Try removing that.

0 Cheers
frank550
Level 2

So problem solved, here is what support had me do.

This is Destiny with Lacerte Support this email is regarding your call today about New York 1041 overpayment of tax not applying to next years tax. This is what I have found, due to this being an estate return and estates generally subject to estimated tax payments if the estate has not been open for over 2 years, that is the reason this is not working for the state but is in federals case; there is a way for you to see this is the issue as well: go to screen 2.1 miscellaneous Information and look for the override field 1=decedents estate open for over 2 years, 2=leave question blank(O) and enter a 1 this allows the overpayment to be applied to next years tax.