Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OR-A using wrong AGI to calculate medical deduction limit

pamdory
Level 8

I've got an Oregon OR-A that is using the wrong AGI on line 2 to calculate the 7.5% limit on medical deductions.  

The taxpayer will use the standard deduction on the federal return with the new $300 charitable deduction as an adjustment to AGI.  That works.

On the OR form 40 it's supposed to start with that federal AGI and then reduce the charitable deductions for the $300 AGI deduction.  That works.

But the AGI the program is using to calculate the 7.5% medical limitation is the AGI + $300.  That DOESN'T work.

Anybody else fighting with this?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pamdory
Level 8

UPDATE

I ended up going to Oregon Dept of Revenue's Practitioner priority email with this problem to determine if I was misinterpreting the instructions.  OR DOR went to Lacerte and they responded:

"We reviewed the concern below and have made a fix that will be released this afternoon 2/9/2021."

Hooray!  I can finish tax returns!

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
George4Tacks
Level 15

When in the client listing screen use Ctrl + L to open a support e-mail to notify Lacerte of the problem. You can actually attach a sanitized copy of the file to demonstrate what the problem is.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/accounting/help/sending-an-email-to-lacerte-support/00/4763

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
pamdory
Level 8

Thanks George,

I did that last night after the support agent told me to recreate the return and if it  still didn't work to send a support email.  Then I called this morning and spent an hour and 40 minutes with another agent who I showed the form instructions to but she disagreed with my interpretation and wouldn't elevate the issue to the next level of support.  So I contacted Oregon's tax practitioner desk and they are going to work it out with Lacerte.  Oregon also pointed out that the Recovery Rebate payments are supposed to reduce the federal tax subtraction on the Oregon return.  That's not happening on Lacerte either.

Kinda wish they would spend the engineering talent and dollars on getting this stuff right instead of new applications to try and sell us.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Kinda wish they would spend the engineering talent and dollars on getting this stuff right instead of new applications to try and sell us.

👏

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
pamdory
Level 8

UPDATE

I ended up going to Oregon Dept of Revenue's Practitioner priority email with this problem to determine if I was misinterpreting the instructions.  OR DOR went to Lacerte and they responded:

"We reviewed the concern below and have made a fix that will be released this afternoon 2/9/2021."

Hooray!  I can finish tax returns!